All of our events are open to the public! No matter who you are, you are welcome and we’d love to see you there.
To get updates from the Center, sign up for our biweekly newsletter “The Eurofile.”
- This event has passed.
EU-U.S Relations in a Post-Pandemic World
August 19, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
This event is organized by the Delegation of the European Union to the United States. For the most updated information and to register, visit their event page.
Join the EU Delegation to the United States virtual policy discussion on EU-U.S. Relations in a Post-Pandemic World.
About this Event
This virtual event will review the current state of the transatlantic relationship and prospects for EU-U.S. relations under the next U.S. Administration and Congress. Topics will include global and transatlantic challenges such as COVID-19 response, climate change, AI/digital, trade, investment and economic recovery, security and defense, promoting democracy and human rights, and joint approaches to China and Russia.
Introductory remarks will be followed by two panel discussions devoted to foreign and security policy challenges and the economic, trade and investment relationship, respectively.
9AM (ET) Welcome by European Union Ambassador Stavros Lambrinidis
A Conversation with former U.S. Secretary of State and NDI Chair Madeleine Albright interviewed by Karen Donfried, President of the German Marshall Fund of the U.S.
Panel 1. EU-U.S. Foreign and Security Policy Cooperation in the wake of COVID-19: Building a more Secure World
- Chris Van Hollen, U.S. Senator
- Brendan Boyle, U.S. Representative
- Maria Arena, Member of the European Parliament
- Stavros Lambrinidis, Ambassador of the EU to the U.S.
- Karen Donfried, President of German Marshall Fund of the United States (Panel moderator)
- Phil Hogan, a special appearance by European Union Trade Commissioner
Panel 2. The EU-U.S. Trade and Investment Relationship: Promoting Recovery and Job Growth
- Stephanie Murphy, U.S. Representative
- Íarlaith Smyth, President of Ornua Foods North America
- Melissa Hughes, Secretary and CEO, Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation
- Wendy Cutler, Vice President of Asia Society Policy Institute (Panel moderator)
Concluding remarks by Stavros Lambrinidis, Ambassador of the EU to the U.S.
This event is organized in cooperation with the National Democratic Institute.
Some changes to the program may occur.
This event will be livestreamed on YouTube.