The first UNC Translation Collective meeting of the academic year will take place at 5pm on Friday, September 28 at TRU Deli. Following is a message from Sarah Booker, the collective’s organizer. To join the collective’s listserv, please email Sarah.

As we quickly get into this new year, I thought it would be nice to organize a little gathering to celebrate our translation work and perhaps get to know each other a little better. When we began to organize this group a couple years ago, we really wanted to find a way to create a space in Chapel Hill for undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, staff, and community members of all departments and languages to discuss and collaborate on translation. As such, I think an informal gathering might be a good way to get us going for the new school year! As an added bonus, September is International Translation Month!

Here are the details:

When: Friday, September 28 at 5:00 pm
Where: Tru – if the weather cooperates, we can meet at the picnic table upstairs, if it is raining, we will find a space inside. I will reserve a table for us.
What: A meet and share. September 30th is International Translation Day, and so to celebrate we will have an informal reading and conversation. We invite you to share a current project by reading part of it out loud (a poem or a page or two of prose or theater) and/or to listen and discuss. Sharing is not mandatory and you do not need to sign up ahead of time. It would be nice if you could bring a few copies so others can read along. All languages and levels are more than welcome!

Please do feel free to share this with anyone you think might be interested and do not hesitate to get in touch with any questions!

In regard to the group in general, I would love to hear from you! At this point, I will be focusing my organizational energy on literary translation and finding opportunities for us to talk about our own work while also thinking about literary translation in general. If you have other ideas for events or projects or anything for the group, please do get in touch!

I look forward to seeing you all soon!

Sarah