Center for European Studies funding recipients must adhere to the procedures detailed below.

  • Check for IRB compliance. Federal regulations and university policies require Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval for research with human subjects. This applies whether the research is conducted by faculty or students, by individuals or a group. Failure to obtain proper approval in advance may jeopardize your data, prevent you from publishing the results, and place you and the university in violation of federal regulations. Details here.
  • Review travel warnings. UNC-Chapel Hill endeavors to balance the value of participation in international educational activities against the potential risk to its students and employees of such participation. In balancing these factors, the University relies on information from the U.S. Department of State, most particularly the Travel Warnings issued periodically by that agency, and information in the Travel Notices issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. Details here.
  • Review all recommendations of the US Department of State:  These will help you prepare for your trip and access resources in the event of an emergency. Details here.
  • Sign up for travel insurance. CES travel awards are automatically adjusted to include the cost of international travel insurance, which can be purchased through HTH Travel Insurance. If you wish to decline this insurance and you meet the requirements, please complete Student Participant Hard Waiver-UNCIP Minimum Insurance Requirements Questionnaire.
  • Complete and sign the Travel Release and Hold Harmless Agreement. UNC-Chapel Hill requires this from all students funded for international travel. Access the form.
  • Register at the UNC Global Travel RegistryThis is a UNC-Chapel Hill service that provides campus leaders with information about where students are currently traveling. Travelers’ info is not stored long-term, but is used during any emergency. Students traveling on University-sponsored programs, such as study abroad and research work, must register. Register here.

Acknowledgement of support and reporting requirements: Funding for CES awards is provided by the European Union and the US Department of Education. Awardees are required to properly acknowledge support as indicated in the award letter. CES grantees must also submit a brief (one-page) report on the funded project at the end of the grant period.